Looking to sell your home this winter? You may be surprised to hear that in a recent study it was determined that more homes listed in the winter months (December 21 – March 19) sell for over the listing price and in a shorter duration of time than those listed in the spring or summer selling seasons. The main reason for this is due to the fact that there is a lot more competition in the warmer months of the year. If you are ready to take the next step in prepping your home for a winter sale then here are a couple tips on how you can increase buyer appeal during these colder months.
Who doesn’t like holiday décor? With one of the biggest holidays of the year landing in the winter season it would only make sense to decorate appropriately. Holiday spirit can be infectious and with the right planning you can produce some of the jolliest buyer prospects. When doing seasonal decorating we suggest that you keep it simple and clean. A cluttered home will have the opposite effect of what you are trying to achieve. Some people are just natural born decorators and I have seen some amazing things done with properties that would otherwise lack luster in the real estate market. If you aren’t one of these people then worry not because there are plenty of people out there who do seasonal decorating for a small and very reasonable fee.
The biggest topic of controversy when it comes to decorating for the holidays is whether religion has been brought into the décor and the effects that it may or may not have on a percentage of the buyer prospects. This is a very sensitive issue and I will do my best to address this utilizing factual statistics rather than personal opinion. According to a poll taken by ABC News 83% of Americans identify themselves as Christians. The remaining 17% had other religious beliefs or none at all. Without any direct reference to religion I think it is safe to say that holiday décor is desirable by most and may result in more smiles from your buyer prospects. We hope that this information arms you with the information needed to make an educated decision on the matter.
Seasonal Outdoor Living
Winter can kill what might ordinarily be a beautiful backyard scene. With spring comes colorful flowers, bright green lawns, and trees with leaves. Many sellers wait to sell their homes until spring for just this reason. There is a simple solution though that will make your backyard stand out as a space to enjoy during all seasons. If your landscape does not include enough evergreen plant material then we suggest that you incorporated some of this into the landscape. Evergreen shrubs and trees will stay green year round and make for an appealing landscape throughout the entire year. Quality landscaping should have a balance between the number of evergreen shrubs and flowering perennials so that there is always something beautiful to look at.
Add the element of fire! Who doesn’t love a good fire on a cool winter evening? Fire pits can be purchased fairly inexpensively nowadays and come in a variety of styles and colors. A couple of chairs and a fire pit will go a long way for those trying to draw people into their backyard. If you don’t have a special place on the patio for this then make one elsewhere within the backyard landscape. The best part about this item is that you can take it with you upon move out!
Outdoor furniture with heating lamps is also a great way to appeal to those winter buyers. If it appears that you are spending time in your backyard during the cooler months then buyer prospects will picture themselves doing the same. Because nicely landscaped backyards with patios appeal to such a large percentage of buyers it is important that you don’t skip over this item when staging your home for sale.
Scents of the Season
Winter is a time for baking and hot chocolate. Who doesn’t love walking into a home that smells good? If baking a fresh batch of cookies isn’t your thing then something as simple as a scented candle will go a long way. Nowadays there are hundreds of scents to choose from when candle shopping. Pick up something that looks good and goes with your décor. Give it a light approximately 20 – 30 minutes prior to any showing of your property. We are certain that your buyer prospects will melt over the pleasing scent and most likely spend more time in your home during their visit.
For more information about home improvements or buying and selling real estate feel free to contact the author directly at: firstname.lastname@example.org or by phone at: (916) 223-8119.